When you think of what makes a healthy heart what comes to mind? Exercise…healthy lifestyle habits…cholesterol…blood pressure…
February is heart month and along with that there is a lot of attention on how to have a healthy heart – physiologically. And as a personal trainer, I am all over that. Therefore there are 6 easy steps you can take to help have a healthy heart below
Once a month I have the privilege and pleasure to teach passionate individuals what it takes to be a personal trainer and we spend a lot of time discussing the benefits of exercise and what exactly is required or needed for good health and longevity. It’s easier than you think. And it doesn’t have to take hours.
6 steps to a healthy heart:
- 3 x 10 per day: The recommendation is 30 minutes of physical activity that elevates our heart rate per day. This does not need to happen all at once. You can break it up into three 10 minute sessions or two 15 minute sessions – not that impossible, right?
- Schedule your “heart happy” sessions into your day or they won’t happen
- Use your house as your “treadmill”! Walk the stairs in your house from bottom to top for 10 minutes and progress to doing this 2 steps at a time, when going up only obviously 😉
- Park 10 minutes away from where you are going. I had a client once who gained 10 lbs in a year because he started driving to work instead of walking to and from the subway every day.
- Buy a Fitbit (or get one FREE – more on that here) or some kind of step counter – it really works!! It will motivate you to get your steps in. But remember it’s not just about walking around your desk, you need to get your heart rate up, so if you are tied to a desk stand up and walk in place with high knees and get your arms swinging too – that really gets your heart rate up
- Find a friend to do this with. Buddy training is a huge motivator.
So go and make your heart healthy and happy. And remember, my trainers are here to help you find ways to get this done in a safe and effective way if you would like some guidance or more ideas.